The Sports Premium Funding is an initiative facilitated by the Government to enhance the provision of P.E. and School Sport in primary schools. The funding, a direct response to London 2012, has been available to primary schools since 2013-2014. Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
This means that Sports premium should be used in order to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offer
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport.
Click here for Sport Premium documents